Monday, November 23, 2009

Togg, or: Tofegg, or: Eggfu, or: Tegg

When I was a Little T, my family always called eggs 'oggs'. In fact, Mrs T still does. I don't know why; perhaps it was a nod to our Cornish heritage, or just one of those family words that passes into lore. Nonetheless, it was oggs.

And here, I present: Togg.

Readers will know that I am much more in favour of shoppering and eatering than cookering, and my skills in the kitchen reflect my preferences. Today, however, as I ruminated in a very boring gym class about what to have for dinner, a recipe popped into my head unbidden and complete, and it was Curried Togg Salad Sammywich.

I don't crave eggs, and even though I enjoyed them, I certainly can't abide how they get to be fried, scrambled, poached or boiled on a breakfast plate. But I was immeasurably happy to recreate an egg salad sandwich, a pregan standby and especially welcome on white bread.

This is what you'll need: (plus some soy milk)


Mush up some tofu in a bowl and sprinkle some curry powder though it. I think that you can't really get away from using something to flavour the tofu, but I guess you could use stock cubes if you wanted to. I used a little too much powder, and next time will make it a less flourescent shade of orangey-yella. Splash a little soy milk round to help it stick together, and lightly warm the mixture in a frying pan just to kick it off.


In a bowl - the same one if you like to minimise washering up - mix up some vegan mayo and mustard. Choose whichever you like; I'm a fan of chunky grainy, in-ya-face mustard, but I also whizzed in some Frency Dijon.


I added some spring onion, because it was on hand and seemed appropriate.


Combine the mustardy-mayo mix and the tofu mixture. You have Togg! I chopped my lettuce and stirred through, but you could also keep the Togg separate and layer it on top of lettuce.


And voila, Curried Togg Salad Sammywich.

7 comments:

lisa said...

Yum! Looks great. I've been craving eggs a bit lately, this looks like it could be a ticket. Also next week I'll blog about the scrambled 'eggs' I had in Adelaide.

Anonymous said...

ooo yum! i like the sound of this. eggs are truly repulsive to me now despite being a fan some years ago

Theresa said...

Well that just looks amazing. There's something about flourescent yellow food that I find strangely appealing...

lisa said...

Ok, still thinking about t'eggs. I'm thinking finger sandwiches! To go with cucumber and cream cheese finger sandwiches! And maybe some avocado finger sandwiches! And a picnic! And some punch. Delightful. Let's make it happen.

Miss T said...

So, at Craig's Hotluck? I am thinking that all those yummy things Lisa mentioned are perfect for picnic potlucks in parks on hot days.

lisa said...

Yes! I don't think I can wait that long though. I think I might try some TOGG tonight.

lisa said...

I have tegg for lunch today!