Thursday, July 1, 2010

Cookering Bookering, or: I have purchased more instructional veganic literature

I've oohed and aahed before over the excellent vegan cookering bookering section at Dymocks in Collins St.  They seem to have more all the time, including Terry Romero's Viva Vegan for those who like Latinesque foodering (not enough pictures for me ... yet. But I do really like the cover and think it's a bit a la Nigella ... so therefore mainstreamish and more appealing to audiences. I rate that). 

Dymocks' psychic pull on me is intense, because recently I have bought:


  • The Vegan Table by Collen Patrick-Goudreau (also of The Joy of Vegan Baking). We've made some verrry noice burgers from it. No pictures, breaking my usual rule, but beautifully laid out and fonted. (Fonted?).
  • The Ultimate Vegan Cook Book (not Veganomicon ... I can't find a picture of it and it seems like a stock published book, but it was only $25 and it even has instructional pictures)


  • Clean Food by Terry Walters. This book doesn't contain the word 'vegan'. But any book that uses agar agar in dessert recipes sure darn is. Quite American as its focus is seasonal ingredients, but still looking sensational and heeeeeps of recipes.


  • Babycakes by Erin McKenna (even though I'm not really a bakerer, I loved the purdiness of the book and also the chance to cook something vegan and gluten free so I can share it with Buzz's mama)
  • Easy Vegan (again, a publisher only book, but 'easy' rings bells in my soul)


  • The 30 Minute Vegan by Mark Reinfeld and Jennifer Murray (like 'easy', 'quick' is like angel wings beating against my heart). 

My collection is growing ... soon to take over more shelves in the kitchen and colonise a cupboard. 

6 comments:

K said...

re babycakes and me too pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I still haven't made anything from it but plan on giving it a go this weekend but it has had mixed reviews so would love to hear how you go, if I don't get a chance to taste myself :-)

Miss T said...

Oooh hello K! Will certainly let you know. It's just so pretty ...

Unknown said...

Hi Miss T,
Babycakes was written by Erin McKenna. Jennifer Katzinger wrote Flying Apron's Gluten-Free & Vegan Baking Book!

Miss T said...

Thanks Haley- you're right! (It even says so on the cover). I think I was misled by Amazon... I'll amend it as soon as I can. Thanks for the pickup!

Johanna GGG said...

oh I always want to go out and buy a armful of books when I see a post like this - borrowed vegan table from the library recently and loved so many recipes that I was sad to take it back

x said...

New books = <3 My newest is Viva Vegan which is totally worth it, but I'd like a few of the ones you bought too.