Also, the Blood Bank is registering people for donations, but are unable to take all donations at the moment. They are trying to book people in over the coming weeks to stagger donations and to ensure a stable supply. They will book you online for the coming weeks.
Donations & Helping:
- If you have lost or found an animal, please register them here: http://www.rspcavic.org/Forms/BushfireSubmit/Lostpetssubmit.asp
- From http://blogs.abc.net.au/victoria/2009/02/bushfire-help.html:
For help with wildlife rescues contact Wildlife Victoria
Stock agistment is available at: Leongatha Saleyards - 0409 436 255; Pakenham Saleyards - 5940 2121.
Animal Aid in Coldstream have staff in the Kinglake area to pick up and check on animals. Their contact is Eddie on 9739 0300.
Debbie from the Albury/Wodonga Equestrian says they have room to take horses. Their number is 02 6043 2776 or 0407 263 881.
Free Medical treatment to pets affected by bushfires is available Lort Smith Animal Hospital in North Melbourne, 24 Villiers St, please ring on 9328 3021 and at the Lort Smith Plenty Valley 9407 2030
The Vet Science Department at Melbourne Uni is offering assistance to animals. For dogs and cats call 9731 2232. For horses 972268
- Further links at http://www.petrescue.com.au/article/654 including:
Victoria Dog Rescue email@example.com, 0412 105 530, 03 9552 9930, 0421 065 629
Dogs Victoria: www.dogsvictoria.org.au/Content.asp?ID=277&SubID=364
Beagle Rescue Victoriainfo@beaglerescuevic.org 0409 535 930
Melbourne University Faculty of Veterinary Science:
Dogs and cats - 03 9731 2232, Horses - 03 9731 2268
The Veterinary Clinic and Hospital: 250 Princes Highway, Werribee
Kristy has let me know that www.fun4paws.com.au are taking offers of dog foster care. I have emailed them to offer.
A Vegan About Town has also advised about the Coles event on Friday, where all profits will go tot the Appeal - see her comment below for link.
- The Red Cross /Victorian Government Appeal: ph 1800 811 700, and direct deposit to:
BSB 082 001, account number 860 046 797
- Wildlife Victoria – www.wildlifevictoria.org.au
- RSPCA: www.rpscavic.org, and for donations: https://wic032p.server-secure.com/vs138364_secure/Default.aspx?ReferredFrom=rspcavic_header
- Animal Aid (formerly Victorian Animal Aid Trust): www.animalaid.com.au, ph 9739 0300
- Help for Wildlife: welcomes donations of money to help meet fuel costs, along with animal cages, blankets and towels. Phone 0417 380 687 or Sue Kirwan on 9438 5709.
News and media coverage:
- 'RSPCA Animal Rescue' will have segment on rescuing animal victims of the bushfires - 7:30 Tuesday 17 Feb, Channel 7.
- Article about survival of animals: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25038828-5006785,00.html
- Article from Animals Australia:
- Article: it is expected that over a million native animals died in the bushfires. http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25042249-661,00.html. This article is a heartbreaking reminder to remember to also support animals who have been injured, made homeless or lost their people.
- Article about a woman who refused to leave without Poncho:
- Article about Sam the Koala: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25038852-661,00.html
- Article on wildlife rescuers Help For Wildlife going in to affected areas: http://www.theage.com.au/national/wildlife-teams-in-animal-rescue-bid-20090210-82w9.html?page=-1 . See above for donation details.
- Article on dead and injured animals: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25034233-661,00.html